Recipe: Strawberry Cream Cheese Sandwich
I don’t know about you, but one of the greatest obstacles I face while dieting is getting bored with eating the same foods over and over again… and that’s when temptation for those unhealthy foods creeps in! So, I’m always searching for something new to try, and this sweet treat is one of my new favorites for breakfast or a midday snack. There’s nothing more satisfying when you’re watching your weight than having a delicious snack and knowing you’re still eating healthy.
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 slices very thin whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 2 medium strawberries, sliced
- Combine cream cheese, honey and orange zest in a bowl.
- Spread bread with the cheese mixture.
- Place sliced strawberries on one piece of bread, top with the other.
For the healthiest version I have been able to concoct, I recommend Kraft Philadelphia light cream cheese (2 Tbsp: 70 calories, 2g protein, 2g carbs, 5g fat) and Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful bread, whole wheat or multigrain (2 slices: 90 calories, 6g protein, 18g carbs, 1g fat).
The other great thing about this sandwich is that it’s entirely customizable. For some change, try other fruits instead of or in addition to the strawberries! Mix and match to find your favorite solo fruit or combination. Some suggestions:
- banana slices
- pomegranate seeds
- kiwi slices
Happy healthy eating!