Recipe: Gourmet Hot Chocolate Recipes
We just found what may be the greatest webpage in the history of the Internet… okay, okay, so maybe we won’t take it that far, but it is pretty awesome: a seemingly never-ending list of gourmet hot chocolate recipes! We chose a few favorites to show here, but you simply must look at the page for so, so many more!
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir.
- Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t scorch.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil!
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature. Makes four servings.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso or coffee powder
- 4 vanilla beans or cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Heat the milk and half-and-half in a saucepan on medium heat to just below the simmering point.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add both chocolates.
- When the chocolates are melted, add the sugar, vanilla extract, and espresso and whisk vigorously.
- Reheat gently and serve immediately. Use a vanilla bean or cinnamon stick to garnish each serving. Makes four servings.
- 16 ounces milk or cream (recommended: 8 ounces milk and 8 ounces cream)
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 4 ounces chocolate caramel (such as Hershey’s version)
- A pinch or two of sea salt
- In a sauce pan or small pot heat half (8 ounces) of the milk and 4 ounces chopped dark chocolate and salt until melted.
- Continue heating and whisk in the remaining milk and 4 ounces chopped chocolate caramel. Continue whisking until the entire mixture is warmed through and smooth in texture.
- Serve with a little whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt. Makes two servings.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. Nutella
- 1 tbsp. hazelnut liqueur, such as Frangelico (optional)
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Heat milk in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium heat until just beginning to bubble at edges, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Top with whipped cream to serve. Makes one serving.