Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
This chicken potpie is studded with peas, mushrooms, carrots and onions and topped with tender whole-wheat biscuits. The savory sauce gets a rich taste from reduced-fat sour cream, but with less fat and calories. And it ends up just as delicious and comforting as you expect.
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 cup peeled baby carrots
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken, or turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
To prepare filling:
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; cook, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned and their liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Return the onions and carrots to the pan.
- Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Mix cornstarch with the remaining 1/2 cup broth; add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in chicken (or turkey), peas, sour cream, salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a 2-quart baking dish.
To prepare biscuit topping & bake potpie:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and thyme in a large bowl. Using your fingertips or 2 knives, cut butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. Add buttermilk and oil; stir until just combined.
- Drop the dough onto the filling in 6 even portions. Set the baking dish on a baking sheet.
- Bake the potpie until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.