Recipe: Simple Chicken Piccata
From the Food Network
Total Time: 37 min
Prep: 25 min
Cook: 12 min
Yield: 4 servings
Piccata is a classic preparation for chicken, but can be heavy on your diet as it’s a butter and wine-based sauce. This lighter version saves you calories by adding the zip of white wine with a tiny bit of vinegar to finish (as opposed to a cup or more simmered down), and getting the most of 1 tablespoon of butter by swirling it into the sauce at the end.Ingredients:
- 1 pound chicken scaloppini (about 4 ounces each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, zest reserved for optional garnish, about 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Baby arugula for garnish
- Whole-wheat angel hair pasta or roasted potatoes, for serving
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot; cook the cutlets until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the cutlets to a plate. (Reserve the skillet.) Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium.
- Add the remaining teaspoon oil and garlic to the same skillet; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk together the broth, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon flour, and add to the pan. Simmer sauce until reduced and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, parsley and capers. Swirl in the butter until sauce is shiny and slightly thickened.
- Serve chicken with the sauce. Toss the arugula and freshly grated lemon zest with a light drizzle of olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper, scatter over chicken. Serve with pasta or potatoes as desired.
Nutrition:Per serving (does not include arugula or pasta/potatoes for serving): Calories: 207; Total Fat: 9.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 25 grams; Total carbohydrates: 4 grams; Sugar: 0 grams; Fiber: 0 grams; Cholesterol: 73 milligrams; Sodium: 268 milligrams
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved